Monday, July 12, 2010

Midterm Worries

I'm just back from a two-week jaunt Stateside. I celebrated Independence Day--on July 3, for some reason--in Williston, Vermont and watched several candidates for high office (VT governor, US House of Reps, US Senate) march in the town parade waving the flag and passing out stickers. It was interesting to me that none of the candidates seemed to identify himself by party, though that probably has more to do with Vermont's unique local political geography than anything broader. What struck me more powerfully, both in Williston and elsewhere on my trip, was how big and pervasive a show electoral politics is in America as compared with Australia.

I watched and read several news stories about how my Democrats are getting set up for a trouncing this November. It seems inevitable to me that we would. Historically a 10% unemployment rate has always been a killer for the party in power. What's so frustrating is the sheer irrationality of voting for a Republican in the present cycle. Their message seems to be: Tired of congressional gridlock? Vote for the party that authored it! Frustrated by the faltering economy? Vote for the party that has consistently opposed efforts to provide relief!

E.J Dionne says that the Democrats are in a catch-22 having to choose whether to move left to energize the base and alienate independents or move right and alienate the base. I say the only thing for Democrats to do is speak the truth loudly and often.

No comments:

Post a Comment