Monday, March 15, 2010

Things I Believe

I believe that far from being a threat to our well-being, the democratically elected government of the United States of America is the only means by which many of the most pressing problems we face as a people can successfully be addressed.

I believe that as it has developed over the past fifty years, the Republican Party has devolved into an organization that seeks almost as a matter of principle actively to undermine the effective workings of the government.

I believe that the rules of the United States Congress and, in particular, the Senate must be modified in such a way as to prevent the Congress from being held hostage by intransigent electoral minorities.

I believe that within the Constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court and as amended by the people of the United States, a way must be found to limit the distorting effects of money on our local, state and national elections.

I believe that corruption encompasses more than simply the taking of bribes and kickbacks and refers more broadly to an official’s favoring of his own interests and those of his associates to the detriment of others to whom he owes a duty such as his constituents and the nation as a whole.

I believe that, so defined, corruption exists within the United States government and that if and when we see corruption, we fail to name it at our peril.

I believe that our democracy is not in any way inevitable but that instead it is contingent upon our own efforts, good will and good character.

I believe that the time to act is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment